View Single Post
Old 01-07-21, 05:59 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 461 Posts
Today, I finished sanding the pitted chrome original fender set. There is no way the chrome will look good, leaving the option to paint wide open. Not sure what color to go with right now - grey or red or a combination. Anyway, a hard to find original Torpado fender set in great shape except for the poor chrome...

The frame and fork were color sanded today, smoothing the less than perfect surface offered by the first two coats. This coat, the final I hope, will be applied thin and with extra care...

When sanding, go slow and use fine paper (wet and dry, wet is best). As you proceed, you will see shiny spots surrounded by the matt grey sanded finish. These are low spots and need to be blended into the surface. The better the surface, at this point, the nicer the finish will be once done...

The liquid latex did a decent job of masking the fancy lugs. You can see some of the latex, that I peeled/rubbed off with my finger and finger nail. That is, pretty much, all you need to get not too bad results. Still have a bit more edging to do. Out comes the finger nail again. And, once done, if any touch up is needed, it is very easy to apply.

So, with luck, tomorrow will see the frame/fork painted and drying in preparation for art. I will slap the first coat of grey on the fenders. They will get at least two coats, color sanding between them. Then, I will have to decide on one color or two tone fenders for the old Torpado.

The fender fasteners are very unusual (the first I have gotten my hands on, I think). They will all be cleaned up, along with their matching one piece support struts, and installed sans paint...

Some require more cleaning than others...