View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 02:50 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 462 Posts
It seems like a more pleasurable process than rattle can.
I am not sure about that but I do know one thing. I am not a fan of painting a bicycle or anything else, for that matter. I like mechanical work mostly.

I built a website, years ago, called MY "TEN SPEEDS" (no longer own it). The purpose of that website was to entertain me, as I built it, and to help others work on their vintage bicycles, without making some of the huge errors that I made when I got started. Painting with a brush was intended to help anyone paint a bike anywhere, with minimal cost and mess. So...

I cannot paint a bike frame, with a rattle can, in the living room or kitchen or bedroom (wife has issues with me doing so). But a brushed on paint job can be done in the living room or kitchen or bedroom with minimal mess, other than odor. To that add that the more effort I put into pursuing excellent results, the better the results get. But, at the end of the day, the Tropado is going to be my Lakeshore Drive junk bike, so perfect paint/art is not an issue with me. Working perfectly (in the mechanical sense) is always a goal, however, that said, I am deviating with this build.

Steel rims will remain along with the lovely old and wonderfully antiquated "wing nuts", even though both are impractical and difficult to use (my hands are shot and I have a tough time getting the wing nuts tight).