View Single Post
Old 11-09-05, 09:37 AM
heebro
Senior Moment

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog, Gunnar Roadie, Lotus Elan FG Conversion (in pieces), Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lemurhouse is correct. although this is true of most solvents including gasoline. I work on old cars and there was a guy in one of the clubs who in true darwin award-esque fashion was disposing of gasoline in the fireplace. first jugful wnet in. He lit that with no problems but when he walked into the room with the next one the fumes made it to the fireplace before he did, with predictable results. nobody that I knew personally. solvent fumes will ignite on any open flame or spark if they are present in thick enough concentration. Since they are mostly heavier than air, usually they collect in low lying areas likke the bottom of your hot water heater where they get set off by the pilot light. this goes for jasco fumes, lacquer thinner, nail polish remover (which is acetone which no one raised any alarm about) yes it is all dangerous. please be careful. do it outside, not in your ninth floor walk up co-op apt. in NYC...

or use the tape trick. works great.

btdt....

dave

Originally Posted by lemurhouse
This stuff isn't just flamable, it is seriously - explosively combustible. Way more than gasoline. Just the fumes from the container can travel around a room and find a reason to ignite. I've got a huge can of the stuff in my shed and it scares the crap out of me every time I see it.

Not worth the headache i'm thinking.