Old 06-11-19, 07:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I can't speak for suburbia everywhere, but around here you can get around in suburbia just fine as a kid.

For the mid to upper scale neighborhoods, there are bike paths and green spaces aplenty. For the lower scale neighborhoods, there are streets, sidewalks in many cases, utility right of ways, and the land next to county maintained bayous and creeks.

When I was a kid growing up in suburbia we rode our bikes on the streets, sidewalks, and the upper banks of the local bayou. But that was the 1970s and smart phones and electronic social connectivity as we know it didn't exist back then.

Edit to add: I remember when I bought my first house in another part of suburbia in the early 1990s. A county maintained creek meandered nearby that passed through several neighborhoods. Also, there was an abandoned sand quarry behind my neighborhood.

In the past 15 or so years massive flood retention/detention areas have been added throughout the region which creates acres and acres of county maintained space for riding.

Granted, all this favors a mountain bike or trail bike, but if kids in suburbia want to ride, they just need to go outside.
Not to mention, the "dangers" of riding on a major thoroughfare are often exaggerated. There are streets where I can't get my car through quickly because of the congestion, but I can zip right through on my bike riding safely to the right. I just need to be super careful at the intersections, but that's true on all streets, busy or not.