cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
No-name early 1980's Italian custom frame w/Columbus Zeta pantographing

I was offered this one today, and both the owner and myself are deferring to the forum for valuation. The owner says it was imported in '81/82 into the US, as part of a lot of similar frames sold in the LBS he was working at.

This frame carries no builder's name or brand - the anachronistic Andante repaint is obviously from much later - but it's really odd in one respect: Instead of being engraved/pantographed/forged with the builder's name, this thing is awash in the name of the tubeset it was built with - Zeta. Even the fork crown has the Columbus logo in it. It adds up with the '81/82 date, before the tubeset was renamed to Aelle. (EDIT: Thanks for the clarification, T-Mar).

I know Zeta is seamed carbon steel tubing and is at the low end of the Columbus pecking order (basically just a step up from hi-ten), but I'm not really interested in the frame (it's also too small for me) as much as I'd like to re-purpose the group on my '78 Raleigh Pro Mk.V, and then move the NR from the Pro to one of the '75 Mk.IV framesets in waiting. And there's no guarantee that it's Zeta; if this was from a small framebuilder, it's not out of the question that the cast bits could have been pulled out of the parts bin and the frame built with better tubing (seatpost diameter should be a giveaway to that).

No idea if the original wheels are around; it presently runs mid-V rims with Shimano 105 hubs and a Uniglide rear freehub (this one is the model capable of being converted to HG though) and cassette on it. Nuovo hubs or period rims don't factor in here for my particular needs.

Curious what the forum has to say.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-22-19 at 05:47 PM.