Old 08-07-19, 11:46 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Dugla, I just went through this at the start of summer. I ride a frame that I built in 2001 from Reynolds 531. Had friction 5, 6 and 7 speed on it all this time and was happy with it, but now need lower gearing. I had to rebuild the rear end due to hitting it with the car so I built it with 135mm spacing for reasons other than gear choices. Installed my first ever indexed shifting in the form of Record brifters with Chorus derailleurs, but kept the Superbe Pro crank on it. The rear gears are Shimano 11-32, and there is not a doubt in my mind that I am able to climb faster and seated more often. Top speed is the same as always, but I can get up the hills better because I have lower gear ratios to work with.

In addition to this, at the end of hard rides like I did this morning I am fresher, dead, but not beat up.

One thing to note, my friend Paul rides an old Fuji Roubaix aluminum frame with beat up 105 on it and can stick with anyone any time. He is an old cuss, too. Work on your motor and get more appropriate gearing, and just maybe you will feel the speed.

The frame is unlikely to help. Aero tubing and design will only make a real difference at higher speeds and over a long distance.
This is a lucid and well thought out post.

-Tim-