Old 12-29-15, 01:17 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Mark's explanation makes sense to me - a thicker layer allows some fudge room for where the tire and rim don't perfectly meet. But: in order to have that fudge-layer/gap-filler, does the glue still need to be tacky? Does letting one thin layer dry and adding another one harden things too much? And, ultimately, are two thin layers any different than one thick layer?
My opinion is that a few thinner layers are better than one thick layer. Reason for this is that it allows for a more stable glue layer between tire and rim. One thick layer can be smudged/moved and that may leave some areas thinner than others between tire and rim. I've always glued two thinner (1/2 thickness) layers on the rim, one "regular thickness" on the base tape, then a fresh, regular layer on the rim again before adhering them together. This was how I was taught by my local mech whom I trust. The first layer on the rim is allowed to harden/tack up, before coming back to it and gluing it again. The solvent in the additional layers will soften the previous layers to a certain extent, which will allow for some glue migration once the tire is fully pressured. The mech explained that it kept enough glue under the tire all the way around the rim and from edge to edge, as well as having that last layer give you flexibility for surface irregularities.

Edit: I've always used Soyo cement, or Vittoria, preferring the Soyo. Never rolled a tire and needed to make sure I ate my wheaties that day to change a tube. Tried Fast-Tak as well, but that ruins your base tapes when you remove the tire, so once it's on, it stays on until worn out. Shellac is something I am interested in trying as I've heard that works quite well too.