Old 04-04-16, 07:23 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker

That's a tough one. What type of terrain/riding would you want it for?
I've been riding paved bikepaths for years on a Raleigh hibrid, and more recently,
found a new passion for unpaved paths. Some of those have trails into the woods.
This bike should handle it with ease. And it's very comfortable to ride. I test rode a
Trek FX 7.4, 7.3, 7.2, Sirrus Elite, Sirrus Sport, Canondale Quick4, Giant Escape 1,
Trek DS, and Specialized Crosstail. They were all fine in their own way, but the
Toughroad was the only one that called out to me. YRMV
Terrain, would be mostly pavement. Most rides would be 15 miles, a break, and 15 miles home. Or 5 miles out, 5 miles back with very small break or hours. Once in a while I might push it to a 25 ish out, break and then 25 ish back. However, If I ride to family farm then I have grass, open fields, trails in the woods. Wider tires for me means cush and rolling resistance, nothing more. Cush makes the rolling resistance worth it, however I ran all sorts of off road on 28c slicks. Pick your lines, shift your weight, and yes some of this was snow covered tree roots also. LOL possible, but tire cush is so awesome in comparison.
After riding a good fork, I won't ever do a cheap fork again, ever! Nor will I do Al. forks, carbon or steel is good.
I have other bikes, so this new bike becomes a I'll get there when I get there bike, often with a small backpack, Flat bars because flat bars in town or with family are much more fun. Town is all relative though, sometimes town is very fun with my drop bar freewheel singlespeed.

What draws me to the Toughroad vs other rigid fitness-hybrid bikes is the ability for wide tires. In general I'd run My 40c Clement MSO's or get the new 36c tubeless MSO's. Oh 28c slicks are better in snow though than the Clement MSO's, trust me!!
The FX isn't happening ever! the geo is awkward for me, It doesn't feel sporty, it doesn't make me smile when I ride it. Specialized won't see my money, call it principle. That leaves Cannondale quick, Fuji absolute, DB Haanjo, Omni strada trail, a handful of other flat bar wider tire bikes.

I suppose the Sales pitch I am looking for on the Toughroad is why I would want it rather than building a Rigid hardtail 29er.

1. It looks awesome! (yes I am materialistic like that lol)
2. ??

cons

1: components on the 2 are terrible, and the 1, is geared for trail use only.
2: sizing is very weird! 32" standover with a 30" book inseam 90% kills the reason for wanting a flatbar fun bike.

I guess that last line was the noose that killed any chance of a sale.

I hope Giant reads this..... Maybe I'll buy another Talon 29er for road use.