View Single Post
Old 03-19-20, 11:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Cranked it pretty good today. I think one of the good internal questions we can ask ourselves is 'why we do this.' Surely it isn't only to race, or to win, since there's really not a lot of that. On the most modest timelines we all pretty much suck. But we get health, and satisfaction, and enjoyment. I love...love...getting on top of an interval. I absolutely love the subtle sense of my breath after I'm training. I know the feeling intimately, and can tell so much about my mind and physical well being just by tuning into the way I breathe in those moments. There's more to all this than just pulling a wheel up to a start line, and then crossing the finish line. It may be a long while until any of us get to do that again. If our happiness or satisfaction between now and then and is contingent upon the activity we would identify as 'racing,' it is apt to be a long hard dry spell. If we label this an impediment it will be. But what kind of opportunity might it be? If we look at it as a chance to work on some aspect of the mind, or our body, or attitude might there be a way to pull something positive from it?

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-19-20 at 11:57 AM.