View Single Post
Old 07-04-19, 10:36 PM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've definitely read that statistically, it's much safer to ride in the street. Sidewalk riders get hit by cars and trucks more often at intersections and driveways, and that's not even taking into account the increased risk of hitting pedestrians. Basically, you're way more likely to get killed riding on the sidewalk. You're fooling yourself if you think it offers enhanced protection from distracted drivers, it's actually the opposite. And it's not a close call.
I'll not correct you, but give anecdotal support for where I live and ride the sidewalks.

A L-O-T of riders ride on sidewalks at all hours of the day and night here in So. Flo. I meet a half dozen or more daily and "generally" see none to very few riding in the street, and have never ever read of a bicyclist being killed riding on the sidewalk. Peds seem to be very hip to bike riders, a simple "on your left (or right as it happens)" before passing them invariably gets them to hug the far side of the sidewalk.

In the street the vehicle is likely to be going at or near the speed limit, say 25 to 45 mph and from a parking lot what MAYBE 5 mph? I'll take those numbers in a heartbeat as a matter of fact I have for the last 30 odd years.