Old 03-24-24, 06:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked 8,241 Times in 3,897 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That's not evidence of price fixing -- which would occur if major tire manufacturers colluded in order to restrict competition and set prices. I can think of several reasons why bike tires (some bike tires, anyway) might cost less in Europe than in the U.S., and none of them involve collusion. Also bear in mind that any form of price fixing is more challenging when the products are heterogeneous, like bike tires. It's easier for large firms to rig prices for homogeneous (standardized) products like, say, 2% milk or agricultural commodities, and more difficult to do it for differentiated products like bike tires, again for a variety of reasons.
I wasn’t intending to prove anything. I was just offering an example of a non-US based company that seems to have more pricing flexibility than we see from US-based sellers. There are many examples - across many different industries - where manufacturers mandate that their retailers sell at manufacturer-determined pricing. I have run into it a few times with other sporting goods products.