Old 09-09-20, 11:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by funsizes
Nope I payed $60 total for both bikes. I thought it was going to be a fun side project to try to get new parts on it, but it doesn't seem to be the case based on this forum, but if I was to go through the route of buying the parts how would I even buy the parts to then replace the parts on my existing bike?
there are a number of limitation points that really make upgrades a chore-
the front derailleur is fit for a smaller seat tube than almost any quality part would fit without a bushing. Can be overcome, but minimal gain.
a case can be made for aluminum rims... but the solid axles are smaller than any wheel with a quick release, the fork can be altered if one knows what they are doing.
after one is all done with what can be done, that bag of cash would return so much more on investment elsewhere.

the schwinn’s noted are very abuse and even neglect proof. Suitable for running off curbs, small dogs and wayward children.

refurbish the Varsity, only new tires, brake blocks, two new cables, move the rears to the front, repack the bearings.

then buy a basic French and a basic Japanese bike, do the equal rebuild to each, then comparison ride them all.

the prediction- the French bike rides and handles best, the Japanese bike shifts best and the schwinn is the bike for the zombie apocalypse