Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodenidol
Well, I rode my commute today, to be sure I could get up the second of two hills (Before this I probably called them rises, lol). I did, though I had to be carefull not to go past that thresh hold where I start to hyperventilate. I would say I echo JDCowboy's sentiments that when it happens, its uncomfortable and a bit scary. Never before when I was a wrestler, runner or racing the bike, have I had this feeling. Sure lots of times you go over that thresh hold, and have to catch your breath, but it comes back fast, or did. lol.

Im struggling on technique now. I have always relied on Aerobic capacity rather than strength for climbing. I rarely stay seated from the easiest to the steepest climbs, I just was always happy to expend more aerobic energy than rely on muscling up, or spinning up hills. The next couple months should tell if I do indeed have to lower my gearing. I cringe at the thought, as spinning up hills in very low gears wears on me mentally.

Well, enough whinning for now, I better go get a hamburger and shake, errr, banana and bran muffin I meant. smile

I've always been a spinner, too, using a fairly high cadence, even on hills. It's better for you, doing the work with your cardiopulmonary system, rather than stressing muscles and joints too much. But since the hit my cardiopulmonary system took, I have lowered my cadence. I'm still trying to keep it high enough so that I don't have all the issues that mashing can give you, but lower than it was before. It has seemed to help a bit.

One thing that you have going for you is that it was your lower right lobe they took. That's one third of the smaller right lung. The upper left lobe that I lost is much larger, being half of the larger left lung. I'm betting you'll see some gains before you reach your (new) peak condition.

Your remark about taking longer to catch your breath is exactly what I've seen. So often, I'll hardly lose any ground to a group or other rider by the time we crest a short hill, only to get dropped while I'm trying to catch my breath after the hill. I'm thinking a little humility from being off the back often isn't going to hurt me too much, though.