Old 03-29-20, 10:12 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Anyone using Cycliq Cameras on their bikes?

I recently bought both their front and rear cameras. The rear is easily attached around the seat post with a Velcro strap. The front camera is a little trickier, at least for me. Instead of using a handlebar mount I was able to come up with a way to mount it under my Garmin bike computer. It took a little drilling and some small bolts with nuts and lock washers but it’s well fastened. Unfortunately I only have one of those mounts and 4 bikes which I ride. They sell a dual mount but it’s pricey. I would like to avoid moving the computer mount from bike to bike as well.

I took them out for the first ride yesterday. I was out there over 7 hours so neither camera lasted the entire ride. The rear camera lasted a lot less time as I was using it for both a camera and a rear flasher. When I realized how much the flashers were draining the rear camera battery I cut those off. Now I need to figure out how to use my regular rechargeable rear flashers in conjunction with the rear camera. Normally both are mounted in the same spot.

Fortunately I didn’t have any situations that warranted capturing video so I didn’t lock in any footage for storage on the SD card. I haven’t downloaded any footage as the batteries really needed recharging before I tried that. Next time I’m going to adjust the settings for maximum battery life to see how that goes. Specs call for the front camera to last up to 8 hours and the rear 7. I was pretty far short of that yesterday.

The cameras are made for cycling. The idea of having the cameras is two fold. You can lock in video footage so it’s not recorded over by pushing a button. If there should be a incident, like getting struck by a vehicle or crashing, the cameras will continue to record and lock in that footage.

Front mount side view.

Front camera under my Garmin.

Rear camera.

Rear camera side view, see the safety tether around the seat post?