Thread: The End is Nigh
View Single Post
Old 06-09-19, 12:04 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
She's 15. Sounds like a good age for her to start figuring out how to be self-reliant & take responsibility for her own transportation/life obligations.

Your job is to raise a responsible, resourceful, thinking tiny human, right?

My son is 17, (18 in a month) and gets in 15-20 miles per day on his bicycle to do all his daily errands. It started in 9th grade (age 13) & he sees no need for a car whatsoever.

He also uses the bus regularly & walks when his cycling legs are tired.

If she is bent on externalizing the cost of het responsibilities to you, Dad, maybe it would be a reasonable compromise to spring for a bus pass & tie it to your checking account or a fancy new bicycle (even an electric one) & save yourself the hassle, expense, & obligation of being somebody on-call taxi service.

Don't let yourself be used on account of "love" You'll be a doormat, unappreciated & taken for granted every time.

20190601_193336 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Here is my sons bike. Cannondale H300 shortly after it's second complete overhaul. Notice the milk-crate, the low-rider rack, the fresh powder-coat, Nuvinci N380 hub with XT hollowtech 2 crankset & abarasque Shimano 600 chain tensioner. The second rebuild was done with about 50% his money & my fatherly expertise. The experience sense of ownership and collaboration between father/son alone is worth more than a car could ever offer.

Last edited by base2; 06-09-19 at 12:12 PM.