View Single Post
Old 07-17-19, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I get a kick out the concept of a "best" hub. Hubs have a job. To support the wheel and in back, be the link between the chain/'cogs and the spokes/rim/tire/road. A lot of hubs do those jobs really well. Good hubs do it with little, straight-forward maintenance. Good hubs last a long time. Best" hubs are also shiny and have little numbers on the scale.

Very good hubs I have owned and ridden - Sanshin Pro-something (stock Fuji Pro hubs 40+ years ago, Campagnolo Tipo front hubs, Phil Woods (I wish I bought them decades sooner), '00s mid-priced Campy 9-speed and front hubs, every Ultegra front hub I've used. "Best"? Probably the Sanshin front hub that was my race wheel 1978, rebuilt as a winter wheel with a Weinmann Concave rim. ( Mangled the dust caps on the rebuild and have been using Campys since. The Campy cones are a touch smaller so I wrapped the cone/'locknut with sailing twine as a dirt seal. 1982. That wheel did a few epic winter rain rides. Took it apart last year fearing the worst. Bearings were absolutely pristine and spun like Campagnolo's best ever. The hub is still in the Weinmann rim, but when the time comes to build an almost race set of tubular wheels, this will be the front.

The other good hub I have - a Campy Tipo front my brother picked up used and gave me in 1986. It's been my winter/rain/city bike hub since then. Ridiculous number of miles. It has not been in continuous use but has a real share of the 27,000 miles my Miyata went and the 17,000 miles of my current Trek. It has had pitting for the past decade. I just pack it with marine grease every few years. (All the grease I can stuff in there.) Works perfectly. No play. Each time I go in there's a lot of that really hard to clean thick grease to deal with but it is barely discolored and the races look exactly like they did last time I looked; same pitting. I don't know how that works. It is my winter wheel and the rims get replaced more often than I do the bearings.

Speaking of good hubs - I have never seen a Tipo hub flange break despite the huge diameter. I have broken two Record track rear flanges, using them as winter road hubs. Campy USA always got me new ones but the rebuild on my commuter was a drag so when I discovered the Miche track hubs I switched. Now those have been good hubs. Sealed so every few years I take the winter/rain./city wheel to a shop and get new bearings. Miche did make some (to my mind) slightly odd choices of threads, etc. but all the Miches I have bought have served me well. (All fix gear so really not applicable to this thread.)

I don't use Shimano rear hubs simply because I run my newest geared bike on Campy standard, older ones as Phil Wood 7-speed FWs and Miches on my fix gears.

Ben