Old 07-23-19, 11:47 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Maybe some are. But there are some 20-30 somethings that just aren't as genetically gifted to get to that level. Or maybe they don't have quite the time to train or desire to put that much effort in but still want results. Not everyone is your kid. Plenty of people at all levels want shortcuts. Some folks at all levels want a boost just so they can finish a century, a fondo, or a marathon just so that they can go into work (or the bar trying to score chicks) and say that they did this feat and see scoring a little T (hey, it's natural, it's in your body anyway, I just want a bit more) as a way to do that.
Centuries, fondos, marathons are also OT for what the OP posted. Yes, my kid is talented. But so were the 10-20 juniors he raced with (of a few hundred). None of those kids doing 20+ hours/week and doing the training the winning masters are (whatever they are doing) wouldn't be a pro. Of course some are. That does not mean they doped to get there. I'm saying I'd find it hard to believe a kid would dope and not train too. If they want to do drugs, there are a lot of social things they can do instead. That part does not add up.
Anyway, that is a subjective argument trying to explain the facts that USAC masters racers are sanctioned about 10X as often as non-masters.
Why do you think that is?