View Single Post
Old 08-25-14, 11:06 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Had another foray to the North Shore today, 73 miles through Arlington, Medford, Malden, Revere, Saugus, Lynn, Swampscott, Marblehead, Salem, Beverly, Wenham, Hamilton, Ipswich, Essex, Danvers, Peabody, Lynnfield, Wakefield, Stoneham, and Winchester. This is an instance of a template that has emerged over the summer: ride the Bike to the Sea route (Northern Strand Community Trail) outbound, meander up the coast to Wenham, where my daughter has recently moved, fool around riding in some of the adjacent towns with her in the afternoon, then high-tail it back to Arlingon on the Danvers Rail Trail and an odd lot of roads in The Sprawl That Route 128 Built. There are two catches: 1) I seem to be physically unable to start a Saturday ride much before 10, and 2) the days are getting shorter. So some of this took place at night.

Today's ride, templated as indicated, had a few novel features:

1) A brief spiritual pilgrimage to the Medford Stupa; I had a little business of that sort to transact.

2) A preview ride of the not-yet-complete Revere section of the Northern Strand Community Path, skirting Rumney Marsh. It is quite beautiful, even though the work-in-progress trail surface was challenging to ride. I got my Gravel Grinding merit badge, so that's something.

3) A detour to the Saugus Iron Works, which turns out to be only a few blocks North of the Saugus section of the Northern Strand Community Trail; once upon a time, antimonysarah (whose systematic research on bicycle routes to the North Shore has been inspirational) had complained about not finding a satisfactory route to the Iron Works; this one is ok, provided you're running at least 28mm tires to accommodate the crunchy crusty crushed asphalt surface that Saugus put on its segment of the trail.

Nice! I do, in fact, have tires that could deal with that. I was up on the North Shore this weekend as well, but I did *gasp* drive out past some of the city bits -- there was a 200k brevet out of Beverly on Sunday, and I didn't feel like turning it into a 300k day (and especially didn't feel like getting up any earlier than I had to!). We went past that Myopia Polo field, and then continued on up along the shore to Kittery Point before turning inland and coming back south through Dover and Exeter and Groveland. I'd only ever seen the giant-shopping-mall part of Kittery; the part we rode through was as scenic as that part is NOT. The route back was just as pretty, I think, but I decided to set some speed goals and had the athletic sort of fun rather than the tourist sort, and it's a bit of a blur. I did pass over a bridge I'd previously only seen from canoeing under it, which was a novelty.