View Single Post
Old 08-25-14, 08:04 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
JFB, nice travelogue and well done. You did indeed find my route and picture (though IIRC mine was from a little further down and captured one of the fine homes, probably an original farmhouse, on the north side of the road). That ramshackle building with the stack (south side of the road) is part of a farm and those other structures (north side of the road) are greenhouses with roles of white plastic unloaded there a month or so ago. I seem to recall that the farm has been working in recent years, but this year the fields have been largely fallow. There was some activity in the greenhouses though, flats of flowers laid out. Those fields have been home to a number of turkeys this year, and the steep (10% grade) section on the east side of that hill (further on in your second view) is where the animal-activist policeman stopped traffic to let a hen and two tiny chicks waddle across the road back in early summer.

The previous two pics are in the Four Corners intersection, with the big McD's children's playground and a DD dominating the view westward. For all the traffic and noise and afternoon heat that isn't really a tough intersection to get through. You just have to wait for the light.

You must have had a very nice exploratory ride on Saturday!

My day was just another commute. I was exhausted from the weekend, took my time coming home this afternoon. But this morning was, um, satisfying. I was northbound on Rt 60, standing still by the curb, waiting for the light at Leonard St in Belmont. After it changed red for cars crossing Rt 60 a car came down the hill and through the light anyway heading into Belmont Center. I pointed at the driver, a middle-age man in a business suit, made eye contact and followed his car with my head as he turned to stare at me while he went past, his ear to a cell phone. A second later the car behind him also ran the red blatantly, and I pointed at him and followed his car with my head also. I figured a little guilt trip might be in order. About one second later the policeman who was second car in line waiting to make a left into Belmont Center burped his siren, flipped on his lights, and went after them. I hope he caught them both.

Addendum-de-dum-dum: JFB, you must have deleted your post and then re-entered it just as I was posting my answer. Otherwise I have no way to explain the non-causal quantum-mechanical time-shift of my answer appearing before you question.

No ride today. Had a dentist appointment. He didn't strike oil and so will have to drill again.

Last edited by jimmuller; 08-26-14 at 03:36 PM.