Old 08-22-19, 11:59 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
After reading a post about the homeless population using drinking fountains as showers, then seeing it happen in person, I pretty much cannot use a drinking fountain anywhere. Even those indoors. I developed a phobia overnight.

Gas stations with mini-marts work, though in 9 out of 10 cases I buy something rather than just ask for water. Grab a snack, ask if I can fill my bottles with ice water, I've never once been refused.

In moments of desperation, you can ask a dude out watering or mowing his grass. For the most part, people are decent. I've been out riding when it's far too hot to be riding, and random people have offered me bottles of water.

If you have frequent routes, start to build a mental database of friendly gas stations, convenience stores, and any other place you can grab some water or take shelter if need be.

One of the local credit unions has a coffee maker and filtered water right by the front door. I've gotten water there countless times. My LBS has a 5-gallon water dispenser in the back.

I have friends and family scattered all around the IE, and have stopped and gotten water out of the hose bib at numerous houses.