View Single Post
Old 10-26-17, 06:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,088 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
So, we will spend millions, to build a public path, adjacent to multiple premier public beaches, while making actual access to these beaches from the path difficult?

I'm in awe.
I’ll try to find an online version of the detailed maps.

Essentially and from what I saw, there is no inclusion of the bike path into the Babylon town beach parking lots, outside of the street level crossing points of the existing car entry/exits, where the path will cross those entrances/exits. It appeared that as a cyclist, you would have to enter the Babylon lot (Cedar Beach) via that same road the cars use (if they allow it). The existing entry into the west end of TOBAY as currently exists is to be retained, thus you get access as current. I didn’t see that with Babylon and the DOT took pains to note that there is no bike only access to the private communities of West Gilgo and Gilgo, nor to the south side Cedar Beach, outside of where the path crosses the automotive access points. The plan is to build new bridges over the existing pedestrian tunnels linking north side parking lots to south side beaches. There were no plans I saw to create access points to any facilities on the south side of Ocean Parkway.

My take on this and as has been discussed prior, is the towns do not want cyclists, as that takes away the profit from car entry. I did not see any representatives from OBY or Babylon and suspect they do not have a choice on all this as it’s state property.

The only DOT document I could find is here

https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offi...0Slideshow.pdf

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-26-17 at 06:04 PM.