View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 09:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.
A lot of frugal cyclists on this board, but a lot of people that also realize the value of a nice bike!!!

Did we somehow jump topics?

Originally Posted by NyoGoat
Carbon Commuter?

Would you consider a carbon bike just for a wet weather commute?
This does, however, bring up a point about commuting. Each commute is different.

Distance, time, financial means, etc.

If you're commuting 1 mile down to the corner store, then carbon fiber may not be the best choice, unless the ride is straight up/straight down for that mile.

I met a neighbor, Ray, who's last half mile is 10%+. It would be a challenge for almost any rider. I don't fault him for his bike or gearing choices.

On the other hand, if your commute is 20+ miles, then a 1980's MTB may not be the answer, nor a 1950's 3-speed.

I'm back to driving a bit, but the picture of the Colnago above towing a trailer near the Buena Vista Ferry was at the halfway point of a modified commute of about 150+ miles each way.

I've ridden a variety of bikes on that ride, but I do like the Carbon Colnago
C40 despite not having racks. Sometimes towing, sometimes not.
Likes For CliffordK: