View Single Post
Old 06-07-14, 04:31 AM
stephtu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestPablo
While the 9 speed Lexa does have a carbon fiber fork, it only has a 50/30 crank, leaving you without a "granny gear" for those more difficult hill climbs. OTOH, the GT Corsa 1.0 has a 50/39/30 triple crank, complete with the "granny gear".
You meant 50/34 crank. Actually, given the right cassette, on a compact you can get as low as a triple, at least as originally configured, one doesn't have a "granny ring", but you have a "granny cog". A 34 ring is kind of "semi-granny". It's the ratio smallest chainring/largest cog that matters, e.g. the Corsa has a 30/28 low, which would be about the same as a compact 34 with a 32 rear cog. Lexa comes with 28 stock though, so the triple is lower here comparing original configs. I do prefer triples, ride one myself, it allows you to get a tighter cassette with the same overall range, or alternately go really low, < 1:1 gearing, with a larger cassette and/or smaller granny ring. Depends on the terrain, with steeper hills & the extra weight OP is carrying super-low gearing is a good thing to have. Thus my rec for MTB cassette & derailleur, many riders in my area (SF bay area) do this to help on the hills. The only thing is that triples are hard to find these days and limits your selection. Specialized does have Dolce/Secteur triples, albeit with 8-speed Claris.

Should you decide to purchase some kind of road bike, I would strongly suggest that you have "interrupter brakes" installed.

...Now, GOOGLE IMAGE "interrupter brakes"...

You see, with interrupter brakes, you get to ride the hoods with relative ease, just like on a hybrid. Since you're hands are right there on the hoods, conveniently placed near the brakes, you can stop on a dime!
Huh? On the brake hoods you just use the regular brake levers. Interrupter brakes are if you are on the *tops* a lot, the flat part of the bar nearest the stem.

I personally rarely use the tops because I like my hands in the neutral position rather than pronated, but YMMV. Mainly I use the tops when riding one handed to take a drink/eat, it dampens steering input.