Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stephtu
You meant 50/34 crank.
Yes, I actually did!...Thanks!

Actually, given the right cassette, on a compact you can get as low as a triple, at least as originally configured, one doesn't have a "granny ring", but you have a "granny cog". A 34 ring is kind of "semi-granny". It's the ratio smallest chainring/largest cog that matters, e.g. the Corsa has a 30/28 low, which would be about the same as a compact 34 with a 32 rear cog. Lexa comes with 28 stock though, so the triple is lower here comparing original configs. I do prefer triples, ride one myself, it allows you to get a tighter cassette with the same overall range, or alternately go really low, < 1:1 gearing, with a larger cassette and/or smaller granny ring. Depends on the terrain, with steeper hills & the extra weight OP is carrying super-low gearing is a good thing to have. Thus my rec for MTB cassette & derailleur, many riders in my area (SF bay area) do this to help on the hills. The only thing is that triples are hard to find these days and limits your selection. Specialized does have Dolce/Secteur triples, albeit with 8-speed Claris.
After all of the technical info submitted here, the bottomline remains that the Lexa S has its lowest gear ratio as 34/28, whereas the Corsa 1.0 has its lowest gear ratio as 30/28. Since the Corsa 1.0 has the lowest gear ratio, it has the largest mechanical advantage, due to the benefit given by the "granny ring". A feature that Stephtu himself, acknowledges can be of great needed assistance when carrying loads. That's why the triple remains his preference. Sometimes, that 34 tooth inner ring on the compact double, just isn't enough, and that's even with a 28 tooth cog!

That especially goes for the bicycle touring cyclist!

Huh? On the brake hoods you just use the regular brake levers. Interrupter brakes are if you are on the *tops* a lot, the flat part of the bar nearest the stem. I personally rarely use the tops because I like my hands in the neutral position rather than pronated, but YMMV. Mainly I use the tops when riding one handed to take a drink/eat, it dampens steering input.
Alright!...Alright!...Alright!...So I used the wrong terminology! Sheesh!

C'mon man___, I'm ole skool! We've never made any distinction between the tops, or the ramps, or the hoods. We've always referred to all three as just simply being, the "hoods"...

Similarly, we've never made any distinction between the hooks and the drops. We've always referred to both as just simply being, the "drops"...

Dude, whenever I cycle, I practically live on the hoods!

Ooops!...Sorry! I meant...the "tops"!

... My bad!

Last edited by WestPablo; 06-07-14 at 02:40 PM.