View Single Post
Old 03-08-18, 02:17 PM
threeteas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If you feel like you have enough base, starting right into higher intensity VO2max and anaerobic workouts like Hermes is recommending will get you fit pretty quick. Those 30/30s should feel familiar from CX. I also like 6x5'+1'. (If you have a powermeter they are 5' @ 105-110% of FTP, then 1' rest, then 5' back on. 5 or 6 repeats. If you don't have a PM, you can still do them by feel: 5' dial a notch below "as hard as you can sustain for interval.")

And work on bike handling and positioning if possible. A wily and experienced old guy has a lot of advantages in a crit that a young, strong guy doesn't.
Thanks to both of you for good suggestions. This crit is actually a rectangular course with a screaming descent and a nice climb up the back-side, so skilled cornering (which I'm decent at) should be at a premium. I'm a terrible climber so it will all probably be a wash in that regard but I might be able to hang longer.

I have a so-so base, but have already integrated some intervals into my training schedule along with base rides. I'm not running a power-meter but do have an HR monitor. I will give 30/30s and 6x5+1 a try.

As long as they don't pull lapped riders it should be fun, LOL! I'm also running a sweet vintage Italian frame from 1994. I'm going to go for it.

Last edited by threeteas; 03-08-18 at 02:20 PM.