View Single Post
Old 09-01-18, 02:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I can't remember Raleigh achieving any racing success with the Technium frames sufficient to spark interest with collectors. And I don't know how relatively heavy or light that they were, but I think they were reliable as Raleigh kept on making them. It was of some marketing benefit that they could substitute various tubing materials in virtually any combination due to the bonding process, but apparently they stopped short of ever using carbon tubes.

I have a Technium Team frameset (steel tubes with 753 steel main tubes) that I built up over 20 years ago and it rides well. It has an attractive decal set that has gold leaf setting it off over a pearl white. It has the distinction of being the lowest-priced bike offering a complete 74xx Dura Ace STI gruppo for just $1995 in 1991 or so, and I think that the seller I bought my new-looking frameset from had perhaps bought it for the value of it's parts, just as some riders did with Raleigh Pro's in the early 70's.