Old 07-27-19, 04:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why I ride
Originally Posted by Ray9
A lot of people wonder why I do something every day that would kill most people if they tried it once. Because I read the warnings on cigarette packages I abstained from the habit in 1976 when the price of the lung destroyers was 35 cents a pack.

Observations of friends and relatives that abused alcohol convinced me to avoid the poison and seeing the damage done to those who smoked weed and progressed to the stronger stuff alerted me to the reality that I and I alone have responsibility for my personal health….

As a Baby boomer I got great deal. Jonas Salk and Alexander Fleming cleared the minefield of many diseases that took out depression-era citizens and my path was easier. I have a huge appreciation for those who worked so hard to make things better for me. That’s why I ride my bike; It’s good for my heart, my lungs and my mind.

You do what you want; you’re free for now. See you on the road.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This thread reminded me that I need to pick up a pack of smokes after I leave work and ride to happy hour for a couple of Manhattans.

My favorite bartender works tonight. She and I have know each other for more than 14 years.

OBTL
Originally Posted by gregf83
I think you need to ride more and worry less about what other do. Maybe have a drink and relax once in a while.
Originally Posted by Bandera
Agree. Those choices for many of us are not a sudden revelation or atonement for past missteps but part of a lifestyle that was out of the mainstream decades ago but with some beneficial consequences that are a by-product of cycling as a sport, along with the injuries that are also part of the deal.

That being said there is nothing more tedious than the smug sanctimonious humble brag inserted into a sermon on riding the bike as some sort of health panacea, sign of superior virtue, vitality and determined grit. Yawn.....
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
As a Libertarian, you should believe that everyone DOES have the right to poison themselves.

But you are correct, they should have the responsibility to bear the consequences of their behavior.
Originally Posted by big john
The Wrath of Ray9?
Hi @Ray9,

I won’t attempt to insinuate myself into this controversial discussion, but I am reminded of a controversial thread you started in 2017. I responded with several posts in ambiguous reply:
Originally Posted by Ray9
“My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.”

The average cost of a pack Marlboro Reds in the US is … The average cost of a six pack of Bud in the US is … The average weed smoker in the US spends about $...

$9.73+$7.25 = $16.98 a day for the booze and butts. $2500/365= about $7 a day for weed. $16.98+$7 = $23.98 a day. $23.98 x 365 = $8,752.70 in a year for the average American to satisfy his or her self gratification. $8,752-$7000 = - $1,1752.

So I'm still short since I do not smoke tobacco, consume alcohol or use weed. This is the best I can do. And this expense is for just one year, the expense for average self gratification goes on year after year until of course the medical expenses kick in.

My last bike which I paid $3000 for in 2008 has lasted me for seven years. This is the best way I can explain the cost. People look very confused and dumb when I explain it this way. The pedals and some special wheels increase the cost of the bike.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, besides justifying your purchase to yourself, I detect a hint of self-righteousness in your detailed analysis of costs of the habits of other, “average” (read: lesser) individuals compared to the monetary value of your superior cycling lifestyle. Kind of like the so-called “reformed smoker.”

Nonetheless, you’re speaking to the choir here, a better informed and receptive audience

I think a more appropriate discussion of explaining costs of a fine bike to a non-cyclist was asked on this thread, Do you tell strangers how much your bike costs?"
…bragging rights are also fun.
Furthermore as described previously:

This enhanced riding experience translates into greater motivation to cycle-commute with corresponding monetary savings, and additional road cycling, both with health-promoting benefits. To paraphrase the MasterCard slogan:

Specialized S-Works carbon fiber bike, $4000…riding it, priceless.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-27-19 at 04:59 AM.