canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have a pair of Black Bibs I hate. Worst shorts I've ever owned. This place is dominated by love for them, they are simply awful.

The build quality is fine. The pad is built in segments. There is a gap between each segment. This gap basically pinches and causes crescent shaped wounds right where it meets the seat. I tried to love them but regardless of bike, riding style, cream, or seat, this happens. I wouldn't even wear these to a spin class.

I have some $18 bibs from Amazon that are far better.

Other brands also have the segmented pad. Unless you know for sure that this style is ok for you, avoid them.
That's my peeve about most newer pads -- that unnecessarily complex sculpted shape. It's just asking for trouble, introducing wrinkles that could eventually compromise skin integrity. I haven't had any particular problems but I don't ride continuously longer than a couple of hours (neck and shoulder injuries limit my uninterrupted ride time). So I'm not sure I'd trust those convoluted pad shapes for riding full centuries or rando events. Probably depends on the individual, since I don't hear many complaints from other cyclists.

Check out the Przewalski 3D padded shorts I've mentioned in this and other threads. It's really unusual and, for me, very comfy. The illustrations exaggerate the depth of the variable thickness pad. It's actually nearly flat and smooth across the entire pad. The pad surface fabric is smooth, not felt-like as most microfiber fabric tends to be. And it has dimples like a golf ball, although I don't know whether those are really functional. Yet it breathes and wicks sweat very efficiently.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Przewalski pad. I just wish they put it in a slightly better short. The shorts are functional with no construction problems. After a year of regular use and frequent washing (usually hand washing and air/fan drying), only the reflective logos have peeled a bit. The stitching, gripper material, etc., are all still in excellent shape. Give 'em a try. For only around $20 it's a good risk. If nothing else they're good for indoor trainer sessions.

But my thighs are unusually long for my height and skinny as toothpicks, so most standard length shorts and bibs ride up on me. Pretty much like shorts of the Eddy Merckx era. Kinda the cycling equivalent to the Dr J era of basketball shorts, for folks old enough to remember the 1970s Philly 76ers. Folks with normal thighs probably won't have that issue. I'd like some compression shorts that actually reach my knees, to help minimize muscle spasms -- although I've been able to reduce that by using magnesium lactate and potassium supplements before and after rides on hot, humid days.

I haven't had any problems with the Black Bibs, but they are merely good values, not necessarily great shorts. Very generic but good values. I may try a set of their longer length bibs to see if they fit my skinny thighs better.

But to be honest, I'm not a fan of bibs anyway. I don't have problems with shorts that bibs need to solve. If the shorts fit my waist and butt properly, they aren't going to slip down so I won't be tugging at them anyway. Of the various shorts I've tried only the Aero Tech Pro shorts tend to slip down a bit. And if I need to pee on a rural ride, I want to make it quick so shorts are more practical.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-14-19 at 12:16 PM.