Old 09-11-08, 12:26 PM
Thumdar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've been doing pretty much nothing but reading about different DIY bike lights since I started this thread and have learned a ton. The Pond Scum concept still has me intrigued, but I'm seeing that just about everyone is currently building with LED's. If I go with a Halogen system, I'm going to use the pond lights due to cost and my preference of black over the OPTRONIC'S chrome.

At this point I've realized what I definitely want:

1. A small, light weight battery pack (Li-Ion?).
2. At least a 2 hour burn time.
3. Evil lumen amounts

I haven't been able to find the ideal battery config for the Halogen 20W 12volt overvolted to 14.4 system. Thoughts on this? At this point I don't mind spending a bit extra for the batteries and an efficient charger. The thing is, I have a 17.5" frame, won't give up my water bottle and have limited space to put my batteries.

Then there's all the LED options. Not real crazy about the square aluminum tube look and prefer the mag Light mod idea. If I go LED, I'll prolly make two bar lights, each with three LED's. There's been a lot of debate over which LED is the best and this is something I'm still trying to wrap my brain around. The OSRAM OSTAR LED's seem insanely bright but I think they're really pricey (can't seem to find any place online that sells them).

cytoe's AMAZING new light

And then there's the TrustFire 900 lumen flashlight, but from what I've read, the light beam isn't very good for biking.

Startin' to get antsy. Too much reading, not enough riding.

Last edited by Thumdar; 09-11-08 at 12:30 PM.