View Single Post
Old 04-27-14, 09:54 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just adding anecdotes:

Just wore through the Sonderklasse II on my 88s. Actually, the front still has life, but the rear developed a small pit (3-4mm) exposing the layer below. I know a lot of you use tubulars until failure, but it seemed like a good time to replace, considering that the season is just heating up. I got considerably more life out of these tires than I expected, doing a ton of racing and training, both indoor and outdoor on these tires. I had one episode where I slipped a couple times during a warm-up on the wood at Carson, but it was such an unusual/isolated occurrence (and during the usual paceline warm-up so speed was fine), that I have to attribute it to some external factor. Highly recommend these tires.

Since I have new set of race wheels for indoor, the 88s have been knocked down to outdoor race wheels (and probably training, since my wife now has my clincher wheels). I decided to save a few bucks and try the Tempo II this time. I think they are virtually the same tire as the Sonderklasse II (Tempo II have a super fine tread pattern).

On the new race wheels (disc/4-spoke), I went with the same Vittoria Crono CS that were the first tires on my 88s. Those did not last very long, as I raced them both indoor and outdoors. But they seemed very fast, and I will only be using them indoors this time around.