Old 04-29-19, 06:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'll file this under TT. I don't want to fully associate with the multi-sport folks just yet.

Sunday did the local duathlon. Definitely a run biased one, 5k 30k 5k.

Gentle rolling terrain for run and bike. Nothing perfect flat, no hills. I actually bothered to "do nutrition" in a somewhat competent way this time and it mattered. A lot.

First 5k it says was a PR for me by about a minute.

What we care about here......the bike leg:
18mi, 450ish feet total, 23.2 mph avg.........210w AP and 218w NP with VI of 1.04

2008 Felt DA, Renn 575 disc, HED 3c trispoke........old crappy Zipp Tangente on the HED and a crap Conti blackchili Sprinter on the disc. New old stock Giro Advantage 2 helmet, and a $75 or so Galibier skinsuit.
Huge improvement........now running a 12-25 cassette instead of the bargain 11-28 I had on there. Geeeeesh. Looking at a power/cadence chart of prior rides and comparing to the 12-25 is amazing. The 12-25 looks like
a super smooth and steady line. The 11-28 looked like a mess.

Got 16 of 150 overall and got 3rd best bike split. I almost got 2nd best bike split but locked up the brakes going into transition trying to save time and almost ate ****. I got 3rd bike split by like 15 seconds.

Second run, if you count it as on the same day.......was also a 5k PR. It was a tad slower, but did that one about 30 sec faster than my old PR.

5th in AG. They bumped me up AG since it's the same as USAC with the "end of year" age.

Freaking would have podium'd if I was still in the under-35 AG. I would have gotten 2nd in that AG. Bummer. All those damn 40 year olds with kids in high school and more time on their hands.

Either way, the run was a great PR effort for me. But by all standards still "slow" for multi-sport people's standards.

I'll threaten a win in AG next year if all I do is find 30 seconds per mile on the run. I'll crush AG if I bother to run some non-**** tires on the bike leg also and gain time there. This was a great first ever showing in something like this. I know for SURE I can do that bike split over 25mph.

It was fun on the bike leg at least. Overall a really nice crowd and fun time. Fun passing a bunch of $8000+ P5X's and Ventums on my 10+ year old freebie frameset.