Old 07-31-19, 09:30 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gerundium
110 mile road race at 29.2 mph. if you spent the time can probably find a 20 minute segment well over 30 mph, but what's the point? it just means it was a flat non-technical race where the right break never went.
My main point was getting facts. In the entire Road Bike Racing forum, I didn't see numbers how fast road bikes go in a race on a closed course. Closed to eliminate wind aide and hill aide. I see TdF stages with the flags ripping behind them and going 30+, then the descents. I was not looking for that. I'm also interested in regional speeds. I think the CO crits are slower. TTs are interesting too, but there is a lot of data for that. So I mainly wanted road bike racing with laps sustainable aerobic speed.

Using those facts might be uninteresting, or interesting depending who you are. I could use them for equipment selection and determining the speed one needs to hold to bridge to, or hold a break. San Rafael (SR) has a hill the faster St Louis one does not. Corners matter too, but you can get a lot of that from Strava.

The other thing that was interesting to me was how fast and competitive the women were in SR. In Agoura Hills a few years ago the Pro CA champions averaged ~20 mph. The SR women were much much faster. Was it the purse size, weather, primes - I was wondering why such a speed difference.