Old 01-05-20, 06:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, that statement from Ineos director Cioni sounded a bit dismissive of Froome's future. Usually you'd expect a generic, vanilla supportive statement from a team director, even if the star appeared to be washed up. Perhaps something lost in translation or misinterpreted by the rumor mill. The Italian news media have some unique characteristics that carry over to their coverage of cycling too -- notably the polemica approach. My understanding is limited, coming second hand through other, primarily English language, journalists who describe it as an emphasis on controversy and sensationalism, rather than the academic definition of polemic as opposed to rhetoric in debate. It's difficult to weigh Cioni's seemingly dismissive comments apart from that context.

Even if he's still a bit twitchy in the peloton during a full gas race, Froome might still recover enough to do well in time trials. That would better suit my personal opinion that if I was in his shoes, I'd forget about trying to keep my weight down to 145 or so this year. He's talked about looking forward to retirement so he can get in the weight room and pack on some muscle. Well, why not now? He could bulk up to a very strong 165 or so and do just fine in time trials, assuming his physical recovery is coming along well enough. Get some strong showings under his belt as confidence boosters, then aim for the TdF in 2021.