canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Now that Ineos has Denis also, Froome would need to find a different team to sell himself as a time trialist.

I'm sorry about all this. Froome has never been very popular in this forum, but I think we all agree that this is a rotten way for him to exit.

Wiggins won the TdF once (with a huge assist from Froome) got knighted, and rested on his laurels. Froome won four times and was seemingly never loved by anybody.
I have no beef with Froome's success. He's pretty low key, like Miguel Indurain. But we're in a different era when hype an trash talking are the norm everywhere, regardless of whether it's appropriate or sells tickets.

Wiggo seldom misses an opportunity to offer an opinion about anything that catches his attention. Some fans dote on that in public figures. It boosts their relevance after retirement from whatever originally gained them attention. There aren't many one-time TdF winners whose names are still relevant years afterward, other than to hardcore cycling fans.

Froome seems content with doing the work. I suspect he has a long range big picture plan beyond cycling, but I doubt he'd talk about it while he's still an active pro.

For awhile I tended to join the chorus of finding him a bit boring in races. But after reviewing several videos it's pretty clear he'd still be successful even without the Sky/Ineos machine. He'd still be a force in time trials where it's just the cyclist and the course, and some mountain stages where teams unravel and eventually it's just rider and road again.