View Single Post
Old 10-31-20, 10:33 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
1. I have seen a ton of creative ways of making hitches - from castor wheel frames to universal joints to simple eye bolts and pins. My first thought was to use a ball joint threaded rod end - the plain kind with a simple hole in the ball portion - and a pin sandwiched between two metal tabs. However, this might be too limited in the roll direction. The trailer the guy I rode with used a Burly hitch - the bar on the trailer up to the mounting bracket on the bike. That hitch uses a rubber part that flexes at the bike end of the hitch bar. I am not sure I like that style, but there might be some merit to the flexibility of the rubber - it would keep the vibration/shock transfer down from the trailer to the bike. I'd like to have something that won't rattle much and won't woller out with wear like a lawn tractor pin style hitch but also something that is quick to release with a pin as opposed to a bolt/nut.
The Bikes At Work side mount/axle hitch looks pretty promising. This one uses the same plain rod end ball joint I was referring to. From the pictures on the site it appears to use a lock nut and is mounted in a round tube. My assumption is if the trailer rolled beyond a certain angle the ball joint frame (the threaded part and lollipop head) would rotate inside the tube. That would certainly overcome the roll issue with the give in how the ball joint is attached.

https://www.bikesatwork.com/store/pr...-trailer-hitch