View Single Post
Old 03-05-21, 01:34 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I have carbon bikes but while the road conditions on this route are good, I feel the extra impact of road cracks on carbon vs steel will hammer my elbows badly over the stretch of miles. ...
I did a week long van supported trip with ACA three years ago, they hauled our camping gear in a trailer, all we had to carry each day was our lunch and water. I brought my folding bike for that trip, 40mm wide Schwalbe Marathon tires.

The rough chip seal in West Texas made for a really rough ride, my hands took a beating and my GPS started acting up from the vibration. Day one, I had between 55 and 60 psi in my front tire. Day two, dropped my front tire pressure to between 40 and 45. That was much better on my hands and my GPS was happier, rode the rest of the week at that pressure in the front tire. I was not noticeably slower at the lower pressure, the people that were behind me on day one were still behind me on later days. But, I was not riding for time, I probably was a bit slower. My rear tire was near 75 psi, but did not need to drop that pressure, only dropped the front pressure.

How much pressure do you need to avoid pinch flats on your front tire?

Side note: That GPS still acts up since that rough day, I think there was permanent damage from the rough chip seal.