View Single Post
Old 03-05-21, 07:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Not sure how little pressure I can get by with to compromise my elbow injuries with an adequate rolling rate. With my new 32’s I’m guessing 65 up front and 75 in the back as these roads are not terrible but not fantastic either.
I’ve been doing a number of training rides just trying to evaluate such issues. At 60 years old this will be a bit of an effort so trying to maximize everything I can. Even if it’s only mental it can’t hurt.
I have knee problems, have had big toe problems, but never elbow problems so I can't suggest anything pertinent

My rando bike has 32mm tires. I usually ride at 60 psi front and 80 psi rear, I weigh about 185 pounds. In general terms I ride about 75 percent as much pressure in front as in rear, but as I noted on that West Texas trip i cut my front pressure to slightly more than 50 percent in front. But on that West Texas trip with my folder that had 40mm tires, I have never heard of pinch flats on a 40mm wide tire. With 32s, you are starting to get to a tire range where that could be a concern.

Good luck on your double century, I am 67 so I understand your concerns. One of my exercise rides last summer I bonked rather badly. After assessing everything I concluded I must have run low on electrolytes, now carry a bit of salty food in my handlebar bag that I can eat, that is in addition to the standard calorie sources.