Old 03-13-21, 11:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I don't remember if you ever knew Wayne or not. You have a lot in common with him. I remember you know Druber. Wayne and Druber were good frenemies. He's now 62 but was heavily racing through his 50's. Picked up a road national masters title in his early 50's. He started the buttonhole chamois cream company that I am now running. He moved out to Reno when the kids left college. Was working on some pursuit goal on the track with Curtis and the Texas Roadhouse crew but they gave up on that a few years back. Then he battled a lot of back issues and then hit the point where he had a procedure to try and solve it again and when he got back from the first ride he put the bike up and proceeded to sell every bike he had. He was always a rock climber, hiker, skier, etc. Now he's doing Kart racing and roller blading as well as immersing himself back again into skiing.

Super competitive but always trying to meditate and temper all of that and to keep his center. Fabulous guy and someone I consider part of my family. Sorry - just what you put out there seems eerily familiar. I respect the pursuit and believe I get it when it comes to the racing, etc. Respect.

After most of a lifetime viewing the universe through the lens of winning a competition it is challenging to shift towards something more like 'modest strenuous exercise to support health and well being.' People do it. Sure. Hell, people race and train without going all in. Some guys are so talented they can be awesome at lots of stuff and race at high levels without even fretting about all the stuff most serious racers hand wring over. Yes, it's all emblematic of the eventual stripping away of everything that everyone goes through. But still there's the reality that this thing that was important to me can't really be in the same way anymore. Lemond and Hinnault took up eating to replace the racing. I'm hoping for something else.

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-15-21 at 01:20 AM.
Likes For gsteinb: