View Single Post
Old 11-15-23, 07:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Since we are talking about bikes, finances and responsibility...

Forty years ago my wife and I lived paycheck to paycheck on a family pack of hamburger, couldn't pay our rent, my bike sat outside and rotted because I couldn't afford tires for it so I rode to work with a friend. Eventually I tossed that old Takara bike on the pile at the dump. In the last couple of weeks I've restored another old Takara and probably have about $300 dollars in it so I can have one just like the one I gave up back in the day. While spending $300 to get a bike that is worth $30 may not be in line with spending $3K for that Wilier, it still doesn't make good financial sense. But I can go out to whatever restaurant in town that I want to and spend what I want on bikes because I worked my butt off for many years.

Larry, surly you can see where some people have an issue with you buying something you can't afford when you could have got by with a cheaper bike and then maybe not had to resort to the food bank that others possibly need worse.
The bikes stores were closing, the bike shop I went to told me that the bike I rode in on would probably fail catastrophically in the next few blocks. I went to the best bike shop in town, because why wouldn't I. I got a $150 single speed there before but know they mainly sell high end racing bikes.

My job told me I needed to get in at 6 in the morning the next day. I dont drive or use uber

I asked for the cheapest bike that fit me and it was a 3k wilier. I don't even like it and think its a shoddily made plastic thing thats uncomfortable to ride but wicked fast.

I don't regret it, soon you will see that 3k is nothing when they devalue our currency more and more. No point in saving

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-15-23 at 07:32 PM.