View Single Post
Old 03-31-23, 10:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked 3,972 Times in 2,580 Posts
Now Cycle Oregon has a better approach. They apply the sweeps to the street, not each tire. I believe a regular street sweeper, donated after an especially bad year for goat heads; a nightmare year for the mechanics. I don't know if the sweeper is still being used post-pandemic. CO has far fewer volunteers and is operating an a much stricter budget. Last September was goat head country and every flat I saw was rest stop related so that sweeper might have been out there. (I've never seen the sweeper. It operates while we are sleeping.)

From Bruizer, "Please don’t forget to hook your thumb on the seat stay. If not you can get your hand pulled between the tire and seat tube. Instant braking and possibly instant breaking. Don’t ask me how I know. " Yes! (Though this is very bike dependent. I have two bikes with room for the huge fat hands I do not have. A race bike (and my old race bike) where fingers didn't fit, period. If you don't find the seatstay first you might pull an Rsbob "Did reach back a few years ago a bit to far and found my fingers bouncing off the rear spokes. Must look positively suicidal to passing motorists." But that's probably better than the tire suck on a short wheelbase bike which I cannot imagine ending well.