Old 05-31-20, 07:09 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
25mm tires shouldn't need 100-110 psi. I have used that much in old 23mm tires, but one of the first things I picked up after an 8 year cycling hiatus was that 25-28mm tires are the new norm, with lower pressures. I only weigh 140, so I use 80 in the front and 90 in the back. Allegedly rides and rolls better.

I use a Silca pump with it's own gage that's at least 30 years old. I replaced the leather plunger once, but I have a spare that I bought 20 years ago, waiting to be used.

Hopefully the OP uses presta valve stems.
It seems to me you're using too much PSI, if you like it that way then fine, but I think you're saying you use 25mm tires, with your weight of 140 psi plus 20 pounds for bike and stuff, your psi should be around 55 front and 85 rear. That's according to PSI calculators, there is some leeway there depending on roads, weather, and how you want the bike to ride, but the pressure the calc provides is for max tire wear, best cornering and braking traction.

Scan down to the middle (2nd) calculator: Bicycle tire pressure calculator