Old 07-24-19, 03:18 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Motivational sights seen along the commute
Originally Posted by no motor?
This morning was one of those mornings when I was just dragging on my way in, so bad that I even stopped to see if one of the brakes was rubbing while I wondered why am I doing this.

But along the way I saw someone who was suffering the ill effects of not taking care of himself and that reminded me why I was pedaling instead of driving.

I also got to appreciate some nicer scenery along that way due to slowly riding through it instead of being cocooned inside my car as I went through it faster, got to smell some fresh cut grass etc...

what do you see (or smell, feel, hear) that motivates you to keep pedaling along your commute?
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Pikes Peak is everywhere...

The scenery, vistas and beauty of Colorado Springs. There's flora, fauna, and the foothills plus Cheyenne Mountain and Pikes Peak. I ride by a small, manmade lake which has plenty of activity in the summer…

I grew up in Chicago (7000 North) and after 27 years Colorado Springs still amazes me with its beauty. (It could use a lakefront, though, and proper deep-dish pizza.)
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work.

I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
…Funny the things you see from a bike that we otherwise wiz right by in our car
Thanks for that “travelogue’” @rummrunn6. So true about what you find on a bike

I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston:
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles [on my commute] through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park)…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-24-19 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added photos