View Single Post
Old 02-13-21, 08:53 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
When i get around to it, im converting an old Marin rigid bike i have to 1x . Its their old Tange Prestige Team frame so a little effort and expense is worth it to me. Im using circa 2015 XTr derailleur and 11-40 11 speed cassette . I pulled this setup off my full squish daily driver when i switched to Eagle 12 speed on it and ithe parts have just been sitting in a box doing nothing

i recall weighing the cassette when i got it and it was close to a 200 gram difference compared to a cheaper steel 10 speed cassette —. That was huge- and 11-40 is PLENTY of gear for a 1x 26’er (was originally on a 29er)

And i have a XO-1 SRAM carbon crank with a 30t chainring i weighed recently, it was 475 grams. I weighed the xtr derailleur years ago and recall it was lighter than an equivalent Deore long cage i had laying around, but not earth shattering like the cassette and crankset difference. A triple chainring mtb setup can weigh well over 700g, so theoretically over a triple with a cheap cassette, im saving almost a pound using a carbon crank and xtr cassette, — then deduct a little more for front shifter and derailleur

it wouldnt shock me if you saved 2 pounds over a 3x setup with careful parts selection