Old 02-16-21, 07:42 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
In my world, expertise still matters -- especially when it comes to highly technical (scientific) topics. I'm not qualified to judge the veracity of this guy's statements (and I'll bet most bf'ers aren't qualified), and so it is all the more important that an analyst's qualifications be vetted...Which is something that we can all do.

I hope people have learned, especially in this past year, to leave science to the scientists. If we start trusting the amateurs, we'll be doing crazy things like injecting bleach.
Well yes if you're going to blindly trust anyone it's better that they should be qualified Science is bigger than scientists and what matters is the evidence and arguments not qualifications. On important issues it's worth digging a bit deeper to understand what the science is really telling us and look a bit past the headlines.

There's nothing in this video that you can't check for yourself. I saw it when it first came out some time ago and IIRC it's about the stiffness of carbon fibre and how that arises from the epoxy and the fibres. He covers layup and mentions how manufacturers exaggerate stiffness.

At no point does he suggest we should inject ourselves with bleach. So that's a good sign.