View Single Post
Old 10-13-19, 08:32 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 416 Posts
Venting about medical treatment

I just want to vent about medical practices for a minute.
I'm going on 59 years old, I have all these medical issues that many of you have. One of my knees has been in discomfort for a few years due to a couple of injuries several years ago. I I have golfer's elbow (I don't play golf) from swinging an axe a couple of months ago. I saw my PCP for that and he prescribed Celebrex (and referred me to Ortho which I go to on Oct 15th). But the Celebrex didn't seem to do much. And, I have a case of Morton's Neuroma (MN) that I've been dealing with for about 6-7 years I guess. I was seen once for the MN several years ago for temporary relief. But it's getting worse...it frequently gets painful on bike rides after about 25 miles, and sometimes wakes me up in the night. I finally decided to seek permanent relief. So I went back to the podiatrist this week (different one than last time). He gave me the initial shot in the foot, AND put me on a battery of steroids (methylprednisolone 4mg)...21 pills to be taken at precise intervals over six days. He explained that the steroid assists in neutralizing the nerve causing the MN pain. Today is day three. I've already got relief from the MN. BUT...my elbow is feeling better, and the discomfort in my knee seems to be waning too. So, I looked up to see what conditions methylprednisolone treats. The list is long, and includes all my ailments mentioned above. (https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6...ist-conditions).

So my complaint is...WTF don't the doctors go directly to something like this steroid instead of making patients suffer? I guess when I go to Ortho on Tuesday for my elbow, I'll have to tell them "Oh, the foot doctor took care of that."

Dan