Old 02-28-19, 04:04 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
First, your use of the term "tourers" could be interpreted as being derogatory. The ACA route was chosen from a number of different options to provide fairly low traffic routes with at least some regularity of services. That doesn't mean that those routes are well traveled or that they are somehow only for the inexperienced. Additionally, if you ask for help with routes, I assume that you aren't familiar with the territory so you might not know the lack of services.

Second, no, Sagauche isn't a Spanish word. It's derived from Ute meaning 'blue earth' or 'water at blue earth'. Since it's a phonetic pronunciation, Sawatch would be just as appropriate as trying to bastardize it into a Spanish like word. In fact, there is a mountain range that extends north that is actually called the Sawatch Range.
Thanks for the correction on the derivation of Saguatch. Honestly. Still, however, why the "for some reason"? It's pronounced as the language pronounces it.

I didn't intend the word "tourer" as a pejorative. It was just a shorthand way of distinguishing between those who want to cycle closer to "civilization", which is fine, and those who don't mind or prefer more out of the way travel. As for not knowing someone's experience level, people need to be responsible for informing themselves. I didn't include all of jamwani's "marginal notes" on his route because if someone eyeballs a route and it interests them, it's then on them to more thoroughly check it out. I do the same with canoe routes. I'll eyeball a possible route and will then ask around to see whether it's doable and it fits what I want. It's "here's an option, do some homework." I can't imagine someone just taking a route suggestion and running with it, and if they don't already know that then I'm not sure whey they're on the road.