Old 03-05-19, 04:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Mike, If you ride directly north out of Taos to near Alamosa like Jamawani and I did you are already well east of Monarch Pass. Monarch would be a fun side trip but will add at least a couple of days to your trip and lots of climbing. From Alamosa...
You aren't really "well east of Monarch Pass" when in Alamosa. You are on the eastern side of Monarch Pass. Poncha Springs is only 18 miles from the top of the pass. If you go the CO114 route, you are 37 miles from the top of Monarch Pass.

77 miles to Poncha Springs direct... one stiff climb, no Monarch Pass...

Yep. Pretty straight shot. The climb to the top of Poncha Pass is fairly mild...1700 feet of climbing from Alamosa and it has a wonderfully fast downhill into the Arkansas River Valley.

161 miles taking Jamawani's route... Saguache, CO114 to Parlin, then leave his route and turn east over Monarch Pass...

While this route might be fun, it does add 90 miles and probably 2 days. It involves two pass crossing...Cochetopa and Monarch...with 7600' of climbing. You aren't going to pounding out 100 mile days with those climbs.

224 miles over Slumgullion and Monarch Pass. I deleted this suggestion from my original post when I added up the miles. That said, either Slumgullion or CO114 options would be fun side trips if you have the time and energy.

Perhaps you have a totally different route planned north from Taos.
Most people would consider that ride to be a tour on its own. Averaging 50 miles a day, that route is at least 5 days...and some of those days are going to be very hard days with a loaded bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!