Old 03-06-19, 09:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Sigh - -
I wish I were permitted my own opinion here.
Oh, please. No one has kept you from voicing your opinion. But it's your opinion and we don't necessarily have to agree with it 100%...or even 1%. That's the nature of "discussions". I have a different opinion and I'm as entitled to voice it as you are. I don't expect you to agree with it 100% either.

I think Highway 17 in the San Luis Valley is a terrible route choice.
It has practically no shoulders, traffic going well over the speed limit, and moderate traffic.
Although US 285 has slightly more traffic and similar speeds, it has much better shoulders.
Plus you can use paved county roads for more miles and fewer miles on the highway.
If you want to ride it - fine - but I don't and I will share that view with others.
​​​​​​​
Colorado 17 isn't all that bad. Even if it is, there are the same network of county roads that parallel it as parallel US285. On the other hand, following along CO17 route...on whatever route a rider feels comfortable with...sets a better route later on. Going over Cochetopa puts riders on a route to Glenwood and that dreaded 6 miles of riding on I-70 that you were chop busting me on in another thread.

If you take Highway 17 all the way then US 285 over Poncha Pass
it puts you into the heavy traffic of the Arkansas Valley first via US 285, then US 24.

(BTW - US 24 does go thru Buena Vista.)
Traffic counts are 9500 north of Salida and 13000 south of Bueny!
Yeah, there are shoulders, but nonstop traffic, fumes & noise, too.
If the goal is to avoid every car in the world, you might as well stay home! On the other hand, US285 south of Buena Vista isn't as bad as you make it out to be. If it were so bad why does the ACA use it for the Great Divide and Great Parks South? It also happens to set riders up for a better connector to the ACA without going through the remotest areas of Colorado and southern Wyoming.

By the way, US24 doesn't go south of Buena Vista. US285 does but US24 turns east at Johnson's Village and goes north out of Buena Vista.

As I stated earlier, I did not initially post the routing above - someone else did.
The persons I did the route for were appraised of its challenges.
So, please, don't accuse me of misleading beginners.
What a bogus and asinine argument.
And I didn't say anything to you about the route until you voiced your opinion. I was pointing out issues I had with the route to revcp and provided my own suggestions on what I think would be a better route. As far as I know, I'm allowed to disagree...as long as I'm not disagreeable. As far as I know I have called you any names nor done anything other than disagree.

As for "beginners", you are the one who brought that up. I'm not assuming anyone is a "beginner" only that they don't have intimate information on the area. Putting them on a route that is remote and isolated is probably not the best choice. If you did the route for someone else, perhaps you should have asked them not to share it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!