Bike Forums - View Single Post - Looking for help finding a relaxed fit jacket that blocks wind
Old 01-23-20, 07:51 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought this from REI for a different purpose, but it is intended for what you desire. It's good in moderate wind and light rain.

I'm 6'1" and larger (i.e. fat) and wanted a softshell jacket that would allow me to later underneath. Most softshells I found are very trim cut (like most cycling clothing) and make that difficult. I bring this up because that means that the cut is more casual like a normal jacket.

It doesn't meet your requirement for a hood. I use it over work clothes (typically a polo) or a base layer down to about 30F with no issues. Using the insulated base layer, I wear it down to 20F before I add a fleece layer. On the occasion that I'm riding in work clothes (rare), I wear a sweater jacket as my intermediate layer to stay warm. That's what I mean by room to layer.

I has a little bit of reflective highlights that are mostly unnoticeable in daylight. Obviously, the one I got was orange, but more subdued that typical bike gear. I don't feel tacky wearing it as a jacket if I go out to lunch or something similar during the day.

I like the rear zipper pocket as there is a lot of room to carry gloves, hat, pad lock, or whatever.

I can't tell if it is no longer made, been updated, or just out of stock at REI. I got a XXL on sale for $50 in late winter last year. It might actually be a little big, but works great.

https://www.rei.com/product/136581/c...ng-jacket-mens