Old 01-27-19, 08:00 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I had the same dilemma where I needed a bag and a pad for maybe 3-4 nights a year. I ended up with a Teton Trailhead 20F bag from Amazon that stuffs to around 8-9 liters and can compress more (1325 grams with stuff stack), a cheap Ozark bag liner from Walmart ($7?) (270 grams) and a Klymit Static V inflatable pad (525 grams) from Amazon. Obviously person dependent but with some base layer clothes on and full mummy claustrophobic mode with only my nose sticking out I did 20F except for my feet unless I curled up (tested outside at my house). More normal conditions for when I actually need it is 40F or higher and I go mostly unzipped and I'm fine. My rack is an Axiom Streamliner. I use my compression bag with my clothes in it for a pillow. Maybe $140 total including rack. My opinion is based on a few nights a year. If you are doing more than that or in a wider variety of unknowns, conditions and situations, or require a hammock/tent or food etc.. no doubt there are better choices.

Whatever you decide and come up with, give it a test run first. What you end up with won't be perfect but it never is. You have to start somewhere.

Last edited by u235; 01-27-19 at 09:04 PM.